|Average GMAT Score||690||GMAT Range||620-770|
|Total Applicants||1397||Acceptance Rate||22|
|Class Size||332||Average Work Experience||72|
|Length of Program||16 Months||Placement Information|
Key Points for HEC:
- HEC Paris was founded in 1881 by the Paris chamber of commerce and industry. The motto of HEC is “The more you know, the more you dare.”
- It is located in Jouy-en-Josas in France. The city has a rural setting with a pleasant climate. The HEC mission is to train the global leaders of tomorrow and take an active part in the knowledge creation on management.
- Peter Todd is the current dean of the school and also a professor. He holds an undergraduate degree in commerce from McGill University and a Ph.D. in Business administration from British Columbia school.
- HEC Paris alumni network is among the largest in Europe. It has more than 52,000 alumni based over 132 countries.
- Some of the few notable alumni from HEC Paris are: Jean-Paul Agon, CEO of L’Oréal, Bruno Lafont CEO of Lafarge, Jean-Dominique Sénard, CEO of Michelin, and Henri de Castries is CEO of AXA, François Hollande is the President of French Republic.
- HEC Paris has been constantly ranked among the best MBA schools in Europe and globally. In Financial Times 2015 it has ranked 2nd in European Business school ranking and 15th in global MBA ranking in 2016.
HEC MBA Essays 2019-2020
Essay 1: Why are you applying to the HEC MBA Program now? What is the professional objective that will guide your career choice after your MBA, and how will the HEC MBA contribute to the achievement of this objective? (500 words)
Essay 1 Analysis:
This looks straight forward but let’s dissect this essay prompt first . You need to answer the following questions:
- Why HEC MBA?
- Why now?
- What is your short term goal?
- How will HEC MBA help you get there?
This means close to 125 words for each answer. (You can obviously expand on one part and steal words from the other but you need to address all the above questions.) See we warned you upfront!
Now, let’s dig into this essay.
Why HEC MBA – This bit requires intensive research. The more the better. We recommend talking to the current students and alumni in addition to scourging through the website. You need to tell the ADCOM that you know specifically what you want out of your MBA journey. This include:
- Courses you want to study
- Treks you want to go on
- Student clubs you want to join
- Things you want to learn
Why now – This is sort of an extension and asks you Why now. You need to present a compelling reason to the ADCOM. Some examples can be:
- Stalled career growth and the industry requires higher degree
- Acceleration towards long term goals etc.
You get the point!
Short term goal – This question is pretty upfront in what it wants. The ADCOM wants to know about your immediate goal after MBA and a little background about why do you want to do that. Just saying that you want to be an Investment Banker or a consultant will not make the cut.
You need to take the ADCOM on the journey with you and tell how you got interested in your goal and even better if you can tell about the steps you have already take to achieve that goal.
How will HEC MBA help you – Think of MBA as a bridge that will take you from your current point A to the desired pint B. Run a Gap Analysis and see what additional skills you need to achieve your desired role. Then write those skills. The skills can be:
- Soft skills
Be sure to tie these skills to how you will achieve them at HEC and you should be fine here.
Essay 2: What do you consider your most significant life achievement? (250 words)
Essay 2 Analysis:
This is an important essay and you need to allocate the real estate judicially. There are following 5 parts, that means approximately 50 words for each part.
- Top most achievement (it better be impressive if this is your top most). It should have components like life lessons/touching multiple lives etc.
- Why does this rank highest
- Biggest failure (Again remember that all humans fail. Be genuine and explain what it was)
- How did these experiences impact your relation with others – did you learn something new about yourself? Did you learn something about others? Did you become popular or less popular?
- LESSONS – this is pretty important. Be sure to talk about this at length.
Essay 3: Leadership and ethics are inevitably intertwined in the business world. Describe a situation in which you have dealt with these issues and how they have influenced you. (250 words)
This sounds interesting and intimidating to say the least. It is very easy to look at the prompt and be bogged down but trust us, this essay is not that hard.
The first line says a universal truth about leadership and ethics. The ADCOM wants to know about your position on this fact. Think of a time when you had an ethical dilemma. It might even be a time when you were discussing work with your friend from a competitor organization. Run through the thoughts again, what were you thinking, why did you feel it to be an ethical dilemma, what did you do?
Finally talk about how that situation has impacted you and how your perspective has altered. The best ending could be talking about another dilemma where you used the lessons learnt form the first time.
Essay 4: Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be? (250 words)
Essay 5: Please choose from one of the following essays (250 words):
- What monument or site would you advise a first-time visitor to your country or city to discover, and why?
- Certain books, movies or plays have had an international success that you believe to be undeserved. Choose an example and analyze it.
- What figure do you most admire and why? You may choose from any field (arts, literature, politics, business, etc).
Essay 6: Is there any additional information you would like to share with us? (900 words)
HEC Paris – MBA Application FAQs
- What is the ideal GMAT/GRE score required for HEC Paris?
The avg. GMAT score for the Batch of 2018 as well as 2019 was 690. GRE score is also accepted. Students are encouraged to submit a GRE score that is at or above the 65th percentile for the quantitative and verbal sections
What is the GRE/GMAT code for HEC Paris?
The GMAT/GRE code for HEC Paris is 0TL-6C-28.
How is HEC Paris MBA Admission Process?
HEC Paris MBA applications are accepted online on the official website. Once the application and essays are successfully submitted they will be evaluated by a pre-selection jury which will consider all of the formal aspects of the application: educational background, professional experience and international exposure, as well as your essays and recommendations.
If you successfully pass the Pre-Selection Jury, you will be invited for two interviews.
Once the interviews have been completed, the Admissions Jury will then meet to review your application. The Admissions Jury is an official meeting attended by Representatives of the French Ministry of Education, HEC Paris Alumni and the MBA Faculty, as well as the Dean of the HEC Paris MBA. They will be taking the final decision.
Can I apply to HEC Paris with low GMAT Score?
The avg. GMAT for Class of 2019 was 690. There is no minimum GMAT score however the competition is immense and it is understood that unless one has an outstanding profile, a high GMAT score is required.
- Who can help in building HEC Paris application?
General Education consulting panel of HEC Paris Alumni and Admission Experts can help evaluate your profile and address your application and essays in a way which highlight your strengths and overcome your shortcomings.
With 12 years of experience in admission consulting, you can’t go wrong with us.
- How many years of work experience is required for HEC Paris MBA program?
The ideal candidate has between 2 and 10 years of professional working experience (the average for the Class of 2020 is 6 years).
- Is TOEFL/IELTS required for HEC Paris?
Non-native English speakers who do not hold a university degree from a university where English is the teaching language must complete one of the following: TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, PTE, Cambridge English Exams.
- Does HEC Paris offer scholarships for MBA program?
Yes. Once admitted to the HEC Paris MBA program, you will have the opportunity to apply for HEC MBA Scholarships.
- What are the fees for HEC Paris MBA program?
In 2018, the fees for the HEC Paris MBA program was €66,000 (US$79,202).
- What is the duration/length of the HEC Paris MBA Program?
The HEC Paris full-time MBA program is of 16 months. It is divided into 2 phases of 8 months each.
- What is the average salary for HEC Paris MBA graduates?Overall Annual Mean Salary was $120,700 and Overall Median Sign-on Bonus was $29,500 for Class of 2018. The highest-salaried industry for graduates was finance, with an average annual salary package of $125,305. In consulting that figure was $114,900.